The ultimate retro dessert that really has that wow factor.
Pavlova, ice cream and summer fruits - what's not to love?
568ml raspberry ripple ice cream
150g mixed summer berries
1 tbsp icing sugar
75g caster sugar
75g self raising flour
2 egg whites
120g caster sugar
1. Line a small deep bowl (approx 650ml) with a double layer of clingfilm leaving overhanging sides (dabbing the glass with a sprinkle of water helps the clingfilm stick). Pack tightly with ice cream, then scoop out a small hollow in the centre. Toss the frozen mixed berries in icing sugar and place them in the hollow. Fold the clingfilm over the top and press down firmly. Transfer the bowl to the freezer for two hours until the ice cream is firm.
2. To make the sponge, preheat an oven to 180°C fan. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Sieve flour, fold lightly into the mixture. Spoon into a small round greased and lined cake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut the sponge to a disc slightly wider than the circumference of the ice cream bowl (lay any leftover cuttings over the sponge).
3. To make the meringue whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually adding the sugar, continue whisking until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C fan. Remove the ice cream bowl from the freezer and working quickly, invert the bowl so that the ice cream sits on top of the sponge (peel away the clingfilm).
4. Use a large spatula to spread the meringue over the entire dome of ice cream, covering it completely leaving no gaps around the base.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 6 minutes until golden in colour. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.